• george@finalstretchgm.com
  • 07715916169

Trailer and behind the scenes

georgemurphy      0

Trailer and behind the scenes

It took me a while to make this trailer.  When I first thought about making the trailer I wanted people to feel like they were in the room next to me and fully engaged in the film.  I knew from the beginning I wasn’t going to attempt any wacky dressing up or camera shots.  That’s not me.  I didn’t want it to be boring either so hopefully I’ve ended up somewhere in the middle but with a good overview of the game.

I decided that planing ahead was key.  I was mindful of all other work I had to do; illustrations, soundtracks etc to make the game, blog, twitter, instagram, professional website etc. I booked a camera, tripod and voice recorder from the Photo Media office.

Firstly, I needed a script and I used the question and answer method.  This meant that I ended up writing a script that covered all the information players would want to know about the game.  This guided me towards what footage I needed to create to make the trailer engaging.

I experimented with angles from over my head and looking down but with the room, lighting and subject matter it didn’t work.  I got all the shots in the studio I needed so that the viewer wouldn’t be stuck on one frame for too long and be bored.  For example, I took a video of the class from different angles and I videod myself working from different angles.  I then used royalty free stock footage I got from Pexels.com to complement the narration.  I had to use Pexels.com because I couldn’t get primary footage of some images, for example, when talking about AI. One of the problems with accessing the stock footage that I needed was that the good descriptive stuff had a fee attached.  I  had to be creative and think about what came to the forefront of my mind, for example AI, I thought about lights and it made it easier to find free footage of lights.

With the audio I made multiple takes of myself rehearsing my script making sure that I pronounced the words properly without mumbling or too quickly and that I left some spaces between the dialogue so that I could edit it seamlessly.

I then started cutting and moving footage around so that when I said something the correct footage appeared. I also edited the audio in Adobe Premier.

DeEsser and DeHummer were the audio effects that I used to modify the tone and volume of my voice.

Problems, solutions, outcomes

After reviewing other game trailers I realised that the problem with my first attempt was that I had too much stock footage and most of the footage of me was from behind so all the viewer could see was the back of my head.  Also I didn’t have enough screen footage of my game.  This was easy enough to rectify, just take more footage of my game and myself and rely less on stock footage.  For continuity purposes I ended up wearing a jumper in the sweltering heat!

I made sure that I had my trailer ready for when Borja came in to review progress.  He watched my trailer and advised me that in some instances the narrative didn’t match the images on screen.  I then set about changing the sequence of my footage and finally the images and narrative matched.

The next problem that I came across was the with the audio. Initially my audio was too quiet and sometimes the the volume went from too loud to too quiet.  Some of the consonants, for example, people, were too loud. Some sentences sounded good but the follow up didn’t so I had to repeat the sentence and edit them together.  I tried to edit the audio in LogicPro X and found it hard to export it back to Premier so in the interest of speed I used Premiers tool to fix some audio volume issues because I have more experience of using Premier.

In making this trailer I used a Canon 5D MKII camera and voice recorder.  The editing software I used was Premier, Logic Pro X and QuickTime player

 

Leave a Reply